The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
CBC News – Neha Ahmed: On Christchurch Anniversary, Remember Canada Has Its Own Problems with Far-Right and Racism
On March 15, 2019, two mosques were attacked in Christchurch, New Zealand, resulting in the deaths of 51 people and leaving 49 injured. Canada has not been immune to this phenomenon of rising hatred. In 2017, a mosque in Quebec was the target of a killing spree that took the lives of six people and solidified the dangerous atmosphere of anti-Muslim sentiment in this country. It is estimated that there are more than 100 far-right and white supremacist groups scattered all across Canada.
CityNews – Stateless Teen Wins Against the Government, Fight to Get to Canada Continues
A 14-year-old girl deemed stateless has taken the Canadian government to court and won, but her fight to get to Canada is still ongoing. Widlene Alexis Earle, a teenager currently living with her Canadian family in the Dominican Republic, was the applicant in a federal hearing. The respondent was the former Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Minister Ahmed Hussen.
CBC News – Border Guards’ Union Worried Not Enough Coronavirus Screening at Ports of Entry
The union representing Canada’s border guards is concerned by a lack of quarantine officers at ports of entry. Enhanced coronavirus screening measures were put in place by the Canada Border Services Agency last week. They include signs and more questions. But, Mark Weber, first national vice president for the Customs and Immigration Union, said quarantine officers from the Public Health Agency of Canada need to be stationed on site. Currently, many border agents have to call them.
ICI Québec – Réforme du PEQ : Simon Jolin-Barrette prié d’ouvrir les vannes
Les consultations lancées par le ministre Simon Jolin-Barrette pour sa deuxième tentative de réformer le Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ) prennent fin ce vendredi. Radio-Canada a obtenu les mémoires d’organismes qui veulent un PEQ plus simple et, surtout, accessible à plus d’immigrants. S’il cherchait de la lecture de chevet pour les prochaines semaines, Simon Jolin-Barrette n’en manquera pas. Depuis la mi-février, les organismes et citoyens intéressés peuvent déposer un mémoire concernant sa réforme du PEQ.
Toronto Star – Canada to Welcome 1 Million Immigrants Over Three Years Despite Fears of Recession
On Tuesday, Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino released the much anticipated multi-year immigration plan, which will see the country usher in as many as 1.14 million newcomers between 2020 and 2022. Despite fears of a global recession due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Toronto-based immigration policy analyst Kareem El-Assal said the high immigration intake is justified with more than 9 million Canadians reaching retirement age in the next decade.
Global News – Trump’s European Travel Ban Leaves Impact on Canada-U.S. Border Unclear
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke by phone with Trump in the afternoon to discuss the steps both countries are taking to protect their citizens from the health and economic impacts of the virus. Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland also spoke Thursday with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to emphasize Canada’s strong health and border measures — part of a scramble to keep Canada’s most important bilateral relationship from being sideswiped by Trump’s dramatic efforts to arrest an accelerating global pandemic.