The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
CBC News – Refugee Who Lost Fingers to Frostbite Entering Manitoba Pleads with MPs Not to Pass New Asylum Law
Seidu Mohammed, whose story focused attention on the border when he entered Canada in December 2016, told MPs on the finance committee Thursday morning that the rules would likely have barred his ultimately successful application. “This bill would put a lot of people at risk and I don’t think it should be passed,” he said Thursday during his testimony before a House of Commons committee. “I’m pleading with you guys … this bill should not be passed.” Mohammed crossed into Manitoba in December 2016 through a snow-covered field.
Toronto Star – Canada’s Refugee Changes Will Hurt Women Asylum Seekers, Organizations Say
A group of Canadian women’s organizations has called on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to withdraw controversial changes to asylum. Last year, the United States said it wouldn’t accept asylum claims based on fleeing domestic violence. Canadian organizations that help vulnerable women said the American decision would mean any woman whose asylum claim was denied in the U.S. would also be denied full access to Canada’s refugee determination system under the Liberals’ budget bill.
Global News – Work Permit Requirements Reduced for Spouses of Atlantic Program Immigrants
An announcement from the Atlantic Immigration Pilot on Wednesday says spouses can apply for an open work permit in areas such as food and beverage, servers or long-haul truck drivers. The federal Department of Immigration says in a news release that the change “supports the Atlantic Immigration Pilot’s goal to ensure newcomers who have come here, stay here.” Originally, only the spouses of those in high-skilled positions, such as managers, medical doctors or architects, were able to apply for a work permit.
CTV News – Former Senator Rebuked for Linking Hijab, Mutilation at Que. Secularism Hearings
Hearings into Quebec’s secularism bill veered off track Thursday when a former senator drew a connection between the Muslim head scarf, female genital mutilation and forced marriage. Quebec Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette quickly denounced the comments by Celine Hervieux-Payette. “Arguments must be presented in a manner that is respectful and moderate,” he said.
National Post – Gerard Bouchard Declares Opposition to Quebec’s ‘Radical’ Secularism Bill
A second prominent intellectual has told the Quebec government it is going down the wrong path with its secularism bill, saying there is no compelling reason to lump teachers among the public servants who’d be prevented from displaying their religious beliefs at work. Historian Gerard Bouchard was critical of the government’s decision Wednesday, telling assembled lawmakers that no scientific evidence exists to show that teachers wearing religious symbols would indoctrinate or traumatize students.
CBC News – Young Newcomers Training to Become Future Wrestling Champs
Mohammed Al Krad was a 12-time wrestling champion in Syria. In 2016, he and his family arrived in Canada as refugees. Al Krad is coach of the Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization’s (OCISO) new youth program, aptly titled “Wrestling with Champions.” Every Wednesday and Friday evening, about a dozen boys ages 10 to 18 hurry into a small makeshift gym at the OCISO’s Newcomer Youth Centre near Bank Street and Alta Vista Drive, excited to learn from Al Krad.