The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
National Post – Integrity of Canada’s Immigration System Damaged by Trudeau’s ‘Famous’ Tweet, Scheer Says
“In terms of illegal immigration, we have seen this problem grow for the past few years. We all remember Justin Trudeau’s famous tweet where he couldn’t resist jumping in on Twitter and tweeting out all are welcome,” Scheer said Friday at a town hall in suburban Vancouver held by the Surrey Board of Trade. “Well, people have taken him up on his word. The problem is that that damages the integrity of our immigration system and people who are trying to come to Canada the right way are now having to wait longer,” he said to applause from members of the audience.
Toronto Star – Japanese Canadian Artists Say Internment Exhibit at the ROM Echoes Refugee Crises of Today
As Steven Nunoda gazes over a sprawling complex of tarpaper shacks in the heart of downtown Toronto, he can’t help but think of his parents and grandparents. About 160 ankle-high huts have sprung up at the Royal Ontario Museum, each a small-scale replica of the rickety structures that Nunoda’s relatives were forced to call home when they were swept up as part of the mass internment of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War.
Toronto Star – Ottawa Begins Fast-Tracking Asylum Claims From Selected Countries
On Tuesday, refugee judges began assessing claims under what is known as a file-review process — meaning a decision is made based on submissions from claimants — without a hearing — and a short-hearing process, where there are few disputable issues. “These new instructions are examples of initiatives recently put in place to slow the growth of the inventory and wait times for claimants,” refugee board chairman Richard Wex told the Star. “By matching our efforts with the complexity of each claim, we are using our resources more effectively.”
CBC News – Semi-driver in Humboldt Broncos Crash Will Likely Be Deported, Says Immigration Lawyer
Last year, Sidhu, who is now 30, drove his semi through a stop sign without braking, causing the Humboldt Broncos team bus to slam into the semi’s side. In January, Sidhu pleaded guilty to 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing injury. Immigration lawyer Richard Kurland said since Sidhu pleaded guilty to a serious charge, it’s very likely he will be sent back to his birth country of India once he completes his sentence.
CBC News – Online Immigration Forms Close Within Minutes, Prompting Tears From Applicants and Criticism From Lawyers
The system closed after the first 27,000 expressions of interest were submitted. Of those, 20,000 will continue to the next steps for sponsorship. It’s the first year applications have been available online in a first-come, first-served basis. In the past two years a lottery system was operated for expressions of interest and, prior to 2016, the applications had to be mailed in. Immigration lawyer Erin Roth’s law firm is considering legal action to pressure the government to change the application system and potentially do a re-draw.
National Post – Amnesty Intl Urges Canada to Act on U.S. ‘Remain in Mexico’ Migration Policy
The latest U.S. gambit to deal with what the White House likes to call a security and humanitarian crisis at the southern border proves Canada can no longer consider the United States a safe place to send asylum seekers, says human-rights group Amnesty International. Beginning Monday, the Trump administration introduced a new “remain-in-Mexico” approach, officially known as “Migrant Protection Protocols,” that requires asylum seekers to wait on the Mexican side of the border while their refugee claims make their way through the American court system.