The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
A local immigration law expert is calling a $25-million federally funded exhibit to be unveiled Thursday at the Canadian Museum of Immigration in Halifax a “hypocritical” move by a government that has systematically made Canada inaccessible to those seeking to make it their home. Lee Cohen, who has spent the last three decades working as an immigration lawyer in Halifax, says the federal government has gone out of its way in the past number of years to make Canada as “inhospitable as it’s been since the Second World War for immigrants and refugees.” “It is both disturbing and mysterious that Canada is spending such a huge chunk of money on this museum that’s already there and not spending money on those who need to get to Canada for safety and security,” Cohen said in an interview. The new exhibit, at the historic Pier 21, is a sight to behold. The visually rich design is peppered with interactive displays and high-tech touch screens outlining a centuries-long dance with immigration and the stories of the settlers who helped build Canada.
Reuters – Hungary Defies EU Over Migrants as Crisis Mounts
In a challenge to European leaders before a summit that aims to tackle a refugee crisis, Hungary unilaterally suspended an EU asylum program on Tuesday, saying it was overburdened by illegal migrants. As Italy said its ships had rescued 3,700 migrants at sea since Monday and Libyans threatened military action against EU moves to curb human trafficking, Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government demonstrated Budapest’s frustration with proposals to spread asylum seekers around the continent by refusing to take any more migrants sent there under EU regulations. With EU leaders due to debate a new scheme on Thursday to relocate Mediterranean migrants landing in Italy and Greece, the European Commission demanded an immediate explanation after Hungary stopped accepting foreigners returned there from other EU states for their asylum requests to be handled by Budapest.
Leader-Post – Website Expedites Immigration Process for Skilled Foreign Workers
Highly skilled foreign workers will now find it quicker and easier to come to Saskatchewan, find work and become permanent residents, thanks to the new online application system for the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP). On Tuesday. the provincial government officially launched the improved website for SINP, which was given a boost earlier in the year with addition of the new Saskatchewan Express Entry category. The Saskatchewan Express Entry category will add 775 additional immigrant nominees to the SINP, bringing the total number of SINP nominations up to 5,500 for 2015. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has committed to processing these applications within six months or less, which makes the new category an attractive option for potential immigrants. […] Saskatchewan Express Entry will also reduce application backlogs by nominating only the most qualified and experienced individuals to apply to the SINP.
Les 9000 travailleurs agricoles mexicains et guatémaltèques qui débarquent au Québec pour travailler dans les fermes reçoivent une multitude de services pour rendre leur séjour agréable. Des épiceries cuisinent des poulets à saveur mexicaine, ont rempli une tablette de produits latino-américains et embauchent des employés qui parlent espagnol. Des vendeurs itinérants circulent de ferme en ferme pour vendre des tortillas. Des enseignants donnent des cours de français et organisent des sorties culturelles. Des équipes pastorales jouent des rôles de travailleurs sociaux et montent des listes de médecins hispanophiles.
Radio-Canada – Menacé d’expulsion du Canada, un Burundais obtient un sursis
Un homme originaire du Burundi vivant à Winnipeg qui craint d’être torturé et exécuté s’il est déporté vers son pays natal ne sera finalement pas expulsé du Canada mardi. Son avocat Alastair Clarke rapporte que son client a obtenu un sursis après négociation avec le ministère de la Justice. Bergise, qui ne révèle pas son nom de famille afin de protéger son identité, a fui le Burundi en août 2014 après avoir été menacé et attaqué. Âgé de 20 ans, Bergise habite maintenant avec sa sœur Gloria, son beau-frère et leurs trois enfants. Il a demandé le statut de réfugié peu après son arrivée au Canada, mais sa réclamation a été refusée en raison de motifs techniques, a expliqué son avocat Alastair Clarke, qui ne représentait pas le Burundais au moment de la demande. Le Burundi est ravagé par la guerre civile depuis plus de 13 ans.
CNW Telbec – IntégraTIon Québec : déjà plus de 80 immigrants formés et près de 270 000 $ versés en subventions
Pour souligner la première année de mise en œuvre du programmeIntégraTIon Québec, TECHNOCompétences et le Regroupement québécois des organismes pour le développement de l’employabilité (RQuODE) dévoilent aujourd’hui les résultats préliminaires de cette initiative qui visent l’intégration en emploi de professionnels formés à l’étranger dans le secteur des technologies de l’information et des communications (TIC). Jusqu’à maintenant, le programme a versé près de 270 000 $ en subventions à des entreprises, ce qui leur a permis de former plus de 80 professionnels issus de l’immigration. « Après seulement un an, nous sommes témoins des retombées positives d’IntégraTIon Québec sur les entreprises et les personnes immigrantes. Il reste encore plusieurs mois avant la fin du programme en février 2016 et il faut poursuivre sur cette lancée. Nous nous attendons notamment à ce que les entreprises en TIC en région nous sollicitent en plus grand nombre pour participer au programme », souligne la directrice générale de TECHNOCompétences, Josée Lanoue.