Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


Inside Halton – Halton Newcomers Recognized as Community Role Models

You just might be inspired by what owners Yury Wu and Lynn Choi have created with their unique establishment overlooking the Bronte Pier in Oakville. The entrepreneurial women were among 24 men, women and students honoured on Wednesday as Halton Newcomer Heroes at a reception at the Halton Regional Centre auditorium. Their success story mirrored the accomplishments of the other ‘Heroes,’ who represented 19 different countries. “Their stories reflect what newcomers can achieve, from settlement to establishing their lives, in Halton,” Halton Newcomer Strategy (HNS) Chair Barb Krukowski said about the inaugural recognition event. “They are positive role models for current and future newcomers and for all of us.” […] Halton Chair Gary Carr described those recognized as “the leaders” of their community. “You are the ones, who show everyone what this community is all about,” Carr said. “You might not ever see the people you impact, but there will be people along the way who you’ve inspired by your leadership.”

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/5675087-halton-newcomers-recognized-as-community-role-models/

CBC – Chinese Newcomers Get Advice on Getting into Business in P.E.I.

Dozens of Chinese newcomers packed into a Charlottetown conference room Friday morning to seek advice on how to successfully start or buy into a business on P.E.I. […] Most of the immigrants came to P.E.I. through the business impact category of the provincial nominee program, introduced in 2010. Through the program, immigrants can move to P.E.I. if they promise to start up a business or buy a major chunk of an existing one. And they have to make a $200,000 deposit to the province. If they fail to get the business going and meet all the requirements within two years, they will lose most of their deposit. The province says, so far, about 80 of the 500 newcomers who’ve come through the category have started businesses. Most are still on the hunt and trying to fulfill the requirements. […] Newcomers heard from government officials, lawyers and entrepreneurs about how to jump through the right hoops and make an Island business work.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/chinese-newcomers-get-advice-on-getting-into-business-in-p-e-i-1.3111763

Global News – Still No Deal on Red Cross Access to Jailed Immigration Detainees in Ontario

After months of negotiations, the Canadian Red Cross still has no agreement on access to federal immigration detainees held in Ontario jails. Talks have been dragging on since October with no clear resolution, though both sides now say a deal is near. Ontario jails hold about 230 federal immigration detainees, mostly male inmates held at the Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay, about two hours northeast of Toronto. […] In an interview in October of last year, Ontario corrections minister Yasir Naqvi told Global News that Ontario was “working on finalizing” an agreement with the Red Cross. The Red Cross, for its part, has been raising the issue of access to Ontario jails for the better part of a decade. The 2008-09 Red Cross report to the federal government on immigration detention describes access to the province’s jails as a “work in progress.” The 2013 report said the Red Cross “remains concerned that it cannot currently fulfill its mandate to monitor the detention conditions of all places where immigration detainees are being held in Canada.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2051196/still-no-deal-on-red-cross-access-to-jailed-immigration-detainees-in-ontario/

CBC – Raif Badawi Granted Quebec Immigration Selection Certificate

The Quebec government has granted imprisoned Saudi blogger Raif Badawi a selection certificate, a first step meant to speed up his immigration process. “Quebec is behind Raif Badawi,” said Immigration Minister Kathleen Weil, who used a special discretionary power to grant the certificate. “His treatment is outrageous — it’s cruel and unusual punishment,” she said on Friday. Federal Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney on Friday said Canada will continue to pressure the Saudi government to release Badawi. He said Quebec’s selection certificate will help fast-track any possible steps taken to bring Badawi to Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/raif-badawi-granted-quebec-immigration-selection-certificate-1.3110623

Radio-Canada – De bonnes nouvelles pour les Haïtiens menacés d’expulsion

Ottawa aurait accepté de traiter 96 % des demandes de résidence permanente formulées par les Haïtiens qui étaient menacés d’expulsion, selon le bureau de la ministre québécoise de l’Immigration, Kathleen Weil. Habituellement, en moyenne, 45 % seulement des demandes du genre seraient acceptées pour traitement, pour considérations humanitaires. Québec a aussi appris du gouvernement fédéral qu’au moins cinq personnes qui avaient reçu leur certificat de sélection de la province se sont quand même vu refuser leur demande pour « de bonnes raisons ». Le ministère canadien de l’Immigration refuse de confirmer toutes ces données. En 2004, en raison de la violence et de l’instabilité qui sévissaient en Haïti, Ottawa avait instauré un moratoire qui avait pour effet de suspendre les renvois vers Haïti, moratoire qui a été prolongé une quinzaine de fois en 10 ans. Le 1er décembre, le gouvernement fédéral avait toutefois donné 6 mois aux Haïtiens sans statut pour demander leur résidence permanente, les avisant de la levée du moratoire le 1er juin.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/Montreal/2015/06/12/001-haitiens-deportation-demande-canada-residence-permanente.shtml

Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada – Communiqué – Le Canada vise les immigrants italiens dans le cadre de son nouveau système d’immigration Entrée express

L’honorable Julian Fantino, ministre délégué de la Défense nationale, a annoncé, au nom de l’honorable Chris Alexander, ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration du Canada, une initiative ciblée visant à attirer un plus grand nombre de travailleurs qualifiés italiens au Canada. La page Web en italien lancée récemment fait la promotion du nouveau système Entrée express auprès des Italiens et permet à ceux qui souhaitent immigrer au Canada de trouver plus facilement de l’information sur Entrée express. Le gouvernement du Canada lancera également des activités de sensibilisation en Italie pour promouvoir le système Entrée express et pour attirer un plus grand nombre d’immigrants italiens au Canada, à commencer par une séance d’information sur Entrée express à l’ambassade du Canada à Rome, le 18 juin.

http://nouvelles.gc.ca/web/article-fr.do;jsessionid=0d87f7051e5e5b446e29406ae95d47833d67cc91cad16b549f629006cea35421.e38RbhaLb3qNe38Pc3f0?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=987479&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=1&crtr.yrStrtVl=2014&crtr.kw=&crtr.dyStrtVl=1&crtr.aud1D=&crtr.mnthStrtVl=1&crtr.page=1&crtr.yrndVl=2015&crtr.dyndVl=31