Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


CBC – Nanny Program Stonewalled by Ottawa, Frustrated Parents Say

Parents who say they’re tearing their hair out trying to apply for a foreign nanny accuse the federal government of stringing them along — for political reasons. “We’re pawns in a game that’s supposed to look like families are getting helped, but they’re not,” said Michael Shandro, the Edmonton father of two preschoolers. They believe the government has effectively killed the live-in caregiver program, without coming out and saying so. […] The Shandros are among hundreds of parents whose applications to bring in foreign nannies have been rejected since Ottawa tightened rules in the temporary foreign worker program. Government statistics show 97 per cent of the applications from 751 parents needing child care were not approved between Dec. 1 — when the rules changed — to the end of March. […] One nanny agency, which asked to not be named, said business is suffering, because virtually all of its clients’ applications for foreign caregivers have been rejected. […] “We didn’t design the program to make immigration consultants happy,” said Minister of Employment and Social Development Pierre Poilievre. He said he’s proud of how fast his department is processing applications.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/nanny-program-stonewalled-by-ottawa-frustrated-parents-say-1.3084529

Toronto Star – Expired Maple Leaf Card can Turn Immigrants into Exiles

Each year, thousands of permanent residents discover they can’t return to Canada after time away and face losing their permanent status because of an invalid “Maple Leaf Card,” the Ottawa-issued newcomer ID. Government figures show that in 2013 alone, 19,503 permanent residents had to apply for a one-time travel document to return to Canada after being away. But only 13,211, or 70 per cent (down from 76 per cent the year before) were approved. Some 5,550 were refused and the rest were withdrawn. The federal government introduced the Maple Leaf Card in 2002 to replace the old landing document as a means of enforcing residency requirements for immigrants. Permanent residents must carry the ID when they travel if they want to be readmitted to Canada. The wallet-sized plastic card expires every five years, and cardholders must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period to qualify for renewal. Not getting a renewed card well ahead of travelling abroad can leave immigrants out in the cold.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/05/25/expired-maple-leaf-card-can-turn-immigrants-into-exiles.html

Toronto Star – Camping Class Gently Introduces Immigrants to Ontario Wilderness

There are more than 330 provincial parks in Ontario. But, for urbanites living in a concrete jungle, nature can feel so far away. And for many immigrant families, camping, hiking and fishing are such novelties they can’t even imagine themselves taking part. With some 100,000 newcomers settling in the province each year, Ontario Parks came up with the Learn to Camp program in 2011 to help all first-time campers connect with nature and discover the joy of camping. Last year alone, Ontario Parks staff reached out to 15,000 people at 47 events like this recent workshop at the immigrant service agency and coaxed more than 3,000 inexperienced campers into spending the night at nine of its participating campsites. […] Learn to Camp — a partnership with Coleman Canada and Canadian Tire — aims to eliminate any barriers inexperienced campers may face.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/05/24/camping-class-gently-introduces-immigrants-to-ontario-wilderness.html

Toronto Star – Status of Ottawa’s Decision on “Medically Inadmissible” Deaf Teen Unclear

Karen Talosig is confused if immigration officials have already made up their minds to reject her deaf daughter — who they found to be “medically inadmissible” to Canada — but are keeping their decision secret due to public pressure. The Filipino caregiver has been religiously checking the status of her permanent residence application on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website; the latest posting that a decision has already been rendered. Yet, the family has not received any notification. Then on Wednesday, Talosig received an email from the Canadian visa post in Manila informing her that her file was still under review. […] A registered nurse in the Philippines, Talosig, 38, came to Canada in 2007 under the then live-in caregiver program. In 2010, she submitted her application for permanent resident status after fulfilling the required employment hours. After waiting for five years, she recently received a letter from the immigration department informing her that her 14-year-old daughter Jazmine has been determined to be inadmissible to Canada because officials speculated that her deafness could cost Canadians $91,500 for health-related services over five years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2015/05/23/status-of-ottawas-decision-on-medically-inadmissible-deaf-teen-unclear.html

Citizenship and Immigration Canada News Release – Reopening the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program

The Government of Canada continues to test demand for the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) Pilot Program—a program which will ensure that immigrants who come to Canada deliver meaningful benefits to our economy and society. The program is reopening from May 25 to December 30, 2015. The IIVC Pilot Program targets high investments and immigrants with skills and abilities, with the objective of stimulating Canada’s economy and promoting growth. The investments made through this pilot will be used to fund innovative Canadian start-ups with high growth potential. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to schedule a language test and to get their foreign educational credentials assessed by a designated organization, if required, as soon as possible to ensure that they are able to submit their application before the program closes. […]Citizenship and Immigration Canada will process the first 60 complete applications received (including complete applications received in previous intake periods).Up to an additional 60 applications will also be placed on a waiting list.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?crtr.sj1D=&crtr.mnthndVl=12&mthd=advSrch&crtr.dpt1D=6664&nid=978929&crtr.lc1D=&crtr.tp1D=1&crtr.yrStrtVl=2014&crtr.kw=&crtr.dyStrtVl=1&crtr.aud1D=&crtr.mnthStrtVl=1&crtr.page=1&crtr.yrndVl=2015&crtr.dyndVl=31

Winnipeg Free Press – Hiding from Chill of Mistrust

“It takes me back to 1980s Somalia,” said Abdikheir Ahmed, a leader in Winnipeg’s Somali community. He was a panellist at a session called Beating the Chill, about dealing with the fear and uncertainty enveloping newcomer communities in Canada these days. […] Employees of agencies that work with newcomers censor themselves for fear of falling out of favour with the government and losing funding, said Ahmed. […] There are so many organizations now that want to “keep their heads down,” said Janet Dench, executive director of the Canadian Council for Refugees. The non-profit umbrella group committed to the rights and protection of refugees is made up of organizations involved in the settlement, sponsorship and protection of refugees and immigrants. Charities afraid of losing their charitable status for political activity and non-government organizations afraid of losing their government funding are staying mum rather than questioning government policy and advocating for vulnerable people who don’t have a voice, the panel discussion heard.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/hiding-from-chill-of-mistrust-304801331.html