The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
Pique News Magazine – Exodus of Foreign Workers Not Expected to Hit Whistler
While immigration lawyers and labour market experts are predicting the mass exodus of thousands of temporary foreign workers (TFW) from Canada over the coming weeks, it appears the majority of Whistler’s foreign employees are staying put. Temporary workers who have been working in the country since April 1, 2011, saw their four-year visas expire last week, unless they were given a one-year reprieve. […] But in Whistler, where employers rely more heavily on TFWs to fill seasonal staff shortages, a mass departure is not expected. “It won’t impact Whistler because you have the international mobility programs that are keeping people here, and the four-year rule doesn’t apply,” explained Whistler Immigration director Paul Girodo. Also at play for Whistler is the fact that the time limit only applies to those who have been employed for 48 months since 2011. Considering the seasonal nature of Whistler’s labour needs, it could take years for temporary foreign workers to amass that much employment time.
Estevan Mercury – Businesses Continue Work Under New Temporary Foreign Worker Regulations
Over the past several years the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program has been a boon to many Estevan businesses with employers trying to navigate a labour shortage in a booming economy. The program has allowed many businesses to fill vacant employment spots. Though there have been a number of changes to the program, businesses have been managing, since these changes took place about a year ago. Though the April 1 deadline has passed, that would have deported low-skilled TFW if they had been working for four years and hadn’t filed for permanent residency, Estevan Chamber of Commerce economic development officer Manpreet Sangha, said she isn’t aware of anyone in Estevan who had to leave. “The people I know, I’m glad most of them have applied for the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program, so I haven’t met anybody who has to leave the country,” said Sangha. She said she frequented some stores who have temporary foreign workers, and after speaking to the employees found they had all applied to the SINP.
Yahoo News – White House Criticizes Ruling on Obama’s Immigration Action
A federal judge has wrongly prevented “common-sense policies” from taking effect by blocking President Barack Obama’s executive action that seeks to shield millions of immigrants from deportation, and the federal government plans to continue its fight in a higher court, the White House said Wednesday. White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the policies are in the best interest of the economy and supported by businesses, faith leaders and local law enforcement across the country, “including in some communities that are located in pretty red states.” U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen refused late Tuesday night to lift a temporary hold he imposed on the president’s policies in February after 26 states — led by Texas — filed a lawsuit challenging the changes. […] That means the Obama administration is still temporarily barred from implementing policies that would allow as many as five million people to remain in the U.S. even though they live in the country illegally.
Lethbridge Herald – Foreign Student Program Deemed “A Great Success”
Foreign students are getting a taste of Canada with the Holy Spirit Catholic School Division’s international education program. The division has hosted about 35 international students in Grades 7-12, who complete either one semester or a full year of studies. Students have come from countries including Spain, Brazil, China, and Vietnam. Home-stay families provide accommodation while they are here. “It’s about international education,” said superintendent Chris Smeaton of the program, now completing its second year. “It’s been a great success and it certainly meets the need of the minister order that talks about developing an ethical citizen that engages with many cultures, religions and languages, and values diversity and all people and adapts to any situation.” Smeaton said because every child is not afforded the ability to travel, “the international education really allows our students an opportunity to get to know different cultures and become better global citizens.” The division sets a competitive tuition price in line with provincial standards and consistent with neighbouring school boards.
Leader-Post – Federal Report Warns “Marriages of Convenience” a Threat to Immigration System
More than a third of the applications to bring new spouses to Canada from India may involve bogus marriages, according to internal government documents made public on Tuesday. “Marriages of convenience” in India “have become a threat to the integrity of Canada’s immigration program,” states the 2013 report from the Canada Border Services Agency’s enforcement and intelligence operations directorate. Applications involving Indian nationals engaged in phoney marriages “are constantly evolving and creatively testing the bounds of the Canadian immigration system.” The report, which cited statistics up to 2012, said it is “presumed” that there is a link between organized crime and the arrangement of phoney marriages. The broader problem of marriage fraud primarily involves applicants from 10 to 15 countries. […] But the report said the problem appears to be “most prevalent” in India and it makes an unsubstantiated assertion that “it has been estimated that as much as 36 per cent of the spousal caseload” involving that country “may be fraudulent.”
FCFA – Communiqué – Le ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration devant le Comité des langues officielles : rien de nouveau sous le soleil pour l’immigration francophone, dit la FCFA
Les propos du ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration devant le Comité permanent des langues officielles des Communes, la semaine dernière, ne changent absolument rien aux inquiétudes ni aux attentes de la Fédération des communautés francophones et acadienne (FCFA) du Canada. La FCFA maintient qu’il faut un coup de barre immédiat du gouvernement en matière d’immigration francophone si on veut éviter un désastre démographique pour les communautés. « Nous avons écouté ce que le ministre Chris Alexander avait à dire au Comité mardi dernier, mais honnêtement, les propos du ministre ne nous ont rien appris. On se questionne toujours sur la vision du ministère et la volonté de mettre en place une stratégie spécifique aux communautés francophones et acadiennes. Selon les propos du ministre, il y a même matière à se demander si on reconnaît qu’un problème existe », a déclaré la présidente de la FCFA, Marie-France Kenny. Il y a deux semaines, la FCFA a dénoncé devant le Comité le fait que depuis plus de 20 ans, le Canada accueille moins de 2 % d’immigrants francophones à l’extérieur du Québec, comparativement à plus de 98 % d’immigrants d’expression anglaise. La présidente de la Fédération a commenté, à cette occasion, qu’on voudrait éliminer la francophonie par attrition qu’on ne s’y prendrait pas autrement.