Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


Le Devoir – Le programme des anges gardiens profite surtout à l’Ontario

À trois semaines de sa clôture, le programme fédéral de régularisation des anges gardiens a accueilli un peu plus de 10 000 candidats, selon les données obtenues par Le Devoir. Et jusqu’ici, il semble avoir profité davantage à l’Ontario qu’au Québec, où les demandes et les admissions sont moins nombreuses. Des 11 125 demandes de visas déposées dans le cadre de ce programme qui vise à régulariser le statut des demandeurs d’asile travaillant dans le milieu de la santé, 6570 (60%) viennent de l’Ontario et 4035 (36%) du Québec.

https://www.ledevoir.com/societe/624948/immigration-le-programme-des-anges-gardiens-profite-surtout-a-l-ontario

London Free Press – New Arts Council Head Aims to Be Mentor for Immigrants, People of Colour

Eunju Yi, who has been with the London Arts Council since 2013, is the agency’s new executive director. “My leadership style is more like a strategic and collective style,” Yi said. “I would like to be a mentor for immigrants and people of colour.” Originally from South Korea, where she worked as a high school teacher teaching film and theatre arts, Yi takes over Sept. 7. She succeeds Andrea Hibbert, who helmed the arts council for 18 years and announced her departure in April.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/new-london-arts-council-head-aims-to-be-mentor-for-immigrants-people-of-colour

CBC News – ‘Must Be Caucasian’: Racist Room-for-Rent Ad Shows Discrimination Many Face Looking for Housing

An online ad for a room to rent in St. John’s that states applicants must be white is a particularly egregious example of the housing discrimination many people face all the time, says the executive director of the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Commission. The racist ad, which has now been removed by Kijiji, contains a list of conditions for applicants to rent the room, including “Must be Caucasian.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/racist-housing-ad-discrimination-human-rights-commission-1.6138742

Toronto Star – This Family’s Immigration Application Was ‘In Process’ for 57 Months. Now a Judge Has Given Ottawa 30 Days to Make a Decision

Abdulrhman Taskia had been kept in the dark by immigration officials for almost five years, not knowing why his family’s permanent residence application was taking so long. Finally, in February 2020, the Toronto man asked the Federal Court to do something about it and push Ottawa to expedite his case. Last month, in a rare ruling, the court agreed the 57-month wait in the queue was “unreasonable” and ordered Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to render a decision in 30 days and to pay Taskia’s family $1,500 in costs.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/08/12/this-familys-immigration-application-was-in-process-for-57-months-now-a-judge-has-given-ottawa-30-days-to-make-a-decision.html

Globe and Mail – Former Afghan Driver Happy to Be in Canada, But Fears for Those Left Behind

An advocate for former drivers at the Canadian embassy in Afghanistan, who finally made it to Canada with his family, is urging Ottawa to swiftly resettle those still waiting to be extricated as the hard-line Islamist Taliban captures large parts of the war-torn country. Abdul Qayum Hemat, who previously spent 13 years driving Canadian staff around Afghanistan, said he, his wife and children are quarantining in a hotel, after having arrived in Canada a few days ago.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-former-afghan-driver-happy-to-be-in-canada-but-fears-for-those-left/

ONFR+ – La société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick vise 50% d’immigrants francophones

La Société de l’Acadie du Nouveau-Brunswick (SANB) estime que 50 % des immigrants de la province devraient être francophones. Cela ressort du mémoire que l’organisme a soumis dans le cadre du processus de révision de la Loi sur les langues officielles du Nouveau-Brunswick (LLONB). Le président de la SANB, Alexandre Cédric Doucet, admet que le Nouveau-Brunswick n’arrive même pas en ce moment à attirer un nombre d’immigrants francophones qui refléterait le poids démographique des Acadiens et francophones de la province.

https://onfr.tfo.org/la-societe-de-lacadie-du-nouveau-brunswick-vise-50-dimmigrants-francophones/