Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


CTV News – Fourth Migrant Farm Worker Dies From COVID-19 in Ontario, Advocacy Group Says

A fourth migrant farm worker has died in Ontario after contracting COVID-19, an advocacy group says. Fausto Ramirez Plazas died in hospital this week after testing positive for the virus during his mandatory quarantine period, Migrant Workers Alliance for Change (MWAC) said in a press release on Friday. The member-led organization of migrants said Plazas arrived in Canada from Mexico on April 22nd and tested negative on his mandatory pre-travel COVID-19 test.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/fourth-migrant-farm-worker-dies-from-covid-19-in-ontario-advocacy-group-says-1.5438617

CBC News – Government Extends Flight Ban From India, Pakistan Until June 21

Canada has extended its ban on direct flights from India and Pakistan until June 21 to help control the spread of new variants of the novel coronavirus. The previous 30-day ban, first imposed on April 22, was set to expire Saturday. Cargo flights will still be permitted in order to maintain shipments of essential supplies, such as vaccines and personal protective equipment.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-extend-india-flight-ban-1.6035626

Reuters – Canada’s New Immigration Path for Hong Kongers Attract Strong Interest

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s new immigration pathway for Hong Kong residents has received nearly 6,000 applicants three months since its launch, a spokesman for the country’s immigration ministry said on Thursday. In November, the Canadian government said it would make it easier for Hong Kong youth to study and work in Canada in response to a new security law imposed by China on the former British colony.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/canadas-new-immigration-path-hong-kongers-attract-strong-interest-2021-05-20/

The Guardian – More Than 140 Refugees in Australian Detention Set to Be Resettled in Canada Under Sponsorship Scheme

Almost 150 refugees held within Australia’s offshore processing system in Papua New Guinea and Nauru, or in onshore detention, are in the last stages of approval for resettlement in Canada. The non-profit migrant and refugee settlement service Mosaic, based in Vancouver, said it had successfully submitted applications on behalf of 66 people in PNG and Nauru, a further 78 in onshore detention, and 98 family members in third countries. All 242 applications have passed initial approval in Ottawa.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/may/21/more-than-140-refugees-in-australian-detention-set-to-be-resettled-in-canada-under-sponsorship-scheme

CBC News – Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program Hampered by Pandemic

COVID-19 has slowed down attempts to bring more immigrants to live in northern Ontario. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot program launched two years ago with the hope of matching 250 newcomers with employers in the north. So far in Sudbury, they’ve only placed 39 workers. Alex Ross, the business development officer for the program in Greater Sudbury, says the pandemic has caused delays.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/rural-and-northern-immigration-pilot-program-pandemic-1.6032854

Forbes – Canada-U.S. Border Restrictions Extended Until at Least June 21

Prime Minister Trudeau has announced that the border closure between Canada and the United States will remain in place until at least until June 21, 2021, and more extensions may be forthcoming. The border will continue to be closed to all non-essential travel. Essential travel will continue to be allowed, and includes trade shipments, essential workers and approved temporary foreign workers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandramacgregor/2021/05/20/canada-us-border-restrictions-extended-until-at-least-june-21/?sh=3abdd19221ac