The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
CTV News – Facing Divisive Deportation, a London Family Is Seeking Help
Despite living in London for four years, Levan Sanadze has been ordered out of the country by the end of March. Sanadze came to Canada on refugee status from Georgia in Eastern Europe but has now had his application denied. Jennifer Black-Sanadze married Sanadze a year ago and they now have a four-month-old child. “I have applied for spousal sponsorship and we have contacted our MP,” says Black. “We just need more time for all of the approvals and background checks to go through.”
CBC News – U.S. Admits Border Officers Wrongly Detained Iranian-Born Travellers at Canada-U.S. Border
The top official with U.S. Customs and Border Protection has admitted border officers wrongly held and interrogated Iranian-born travellers — many of them Canadian and American citizens — at the Canada-U.S. border after military tensions with Iran escalated last month. “That was not in line with our direction and so that was immediately corrected,” said Mark Morgan, CBP’s acting commissioner, on Tuesday. “We do not target anyone based on their nationality, race, creed.”
CBC News – Refugee Youth ‘Falling Through the Cracks’ in Manitoba’s Education System, Report Finds
The report, called “Supported Transitions,” was authored by a coalition of newcomer organizations in Manitoba and examines barriers faced by many refugees aged 15 to 21. These include issues like confusion within the educational system, additional pressures outside of school — including financially supporting their families — and dealing with sometimes traumatic pasts. “This is a small but really high-needs group of youth,” the report’s lead author, Nicole Jowett, said.
ICI Nouvelle-Écosse – Un nombre record de nouveaux résidents permanents en Nouvelle-Écosse en 2019
La population de la Nouvelle-Écosse continue de croître à sa cadence la plus rapide en près de 50 ans. La province a accueilli un nombre record de 7580 nouveaux résidents permanents en 2019. Selon les dernières données du gouvernement fédéral, relayées par le gouvernement provincial mercredi, le total de 7580 nouveaux résidents permanents débarqués en Nouvelle-Écosse en 2019 dépasse le précédent record de 5970, établi en 2018.
Global News – Refugee Adjudicator Says Woman’s Choice to Keep Baby Means Rape Never Happened
Sexual assault and gender-based violence experts say they are deeply disturbed by the recent decision of Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) adjudicator Sarwanjit Randhawa who said it “does not make sense” that a woman would keep a child conceived by rape. The adjudicator also said she would have expected the woman to report the rape to medical professionals and her family “if, indeed, it took place.” The Federal Court overturned Randhawa’s decision when government lawyers conceded she deprived the woman of her right to procedural fairness and natural justice.
Guelph Today – How Two Syrian Refugee Families Had Their Hopes of New Start in Guelph Shattered
The families of Rajwa Kayali and Saad Yousef both escaped war in Syria and landed in temporary homes in Gulf countries. Both wanted to come to Guelph. Money was raised by their families and friends to help cover the required funds to be placed in trust to help with expenses for the first year. That money was sent to their Guelph sponsor. But when their Guelph sponsor failed to provide proof to the federal government of that money being held in trust to assist with their resettlement, their applications were denied.