Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


Globe and Mail – Opinion: Donald Trump’s Latest Travel Bans Are Cruel and Senseless – And an Opportunity for Justin Trudeau

Understanding the news that came from the White House on Jan. 31 was an exercise in cognitive dissonance. Earlier that day, President Donald Trump proclaimed February as National African-American History month. But just a few hours later, his administration announced the latest round of travel bans, which will affect four African countries – Nigeria, Eritrea, Sudan and Tanzania – that contain nearly a quarter of the continent’s entire population.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-donald-trumps-latest-travel-bans-are-cruel-and-senseless-and-an/

Maclean’s – Trump Is Turning Canada into a Haven for the World’s Best and Brightest

Nigerians are playing a significant role in this country’s overall immigration story: the numbers of people arriving through conventional channels—mainly as skilled workers—have spiked, nearly tripling since 2016. Canada now brings in more permanent residents from the west African country than it does from major traditional sources like Pakistan and the United States. Now, this trend seems sure to accelerate thanks to that key disrupter of global migration patterns and norms, Donald Trump.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/trump-is-turning-canada-into-a-haven-for-the-worlds-best-and-brightest/

Globe and Mail – School Board Reportedly Gets Federal Funds to Fight Quebec Secularism Bill, Angering Immigration Minister

Simon Jolin-Barrette says it’s not right that Quebec taxpayer money should go toward fighting a law most people in the province support. The Montreal Gazette reports the English Montreal School Board received $250,000 from the federal government’s Court Challenges Program to mount legal challenges against two provincial laws, including the controversial religious symbols law known as Bill 21. The program, which the Trudeau government reinstated in 2017, provides financial support to groups bringing human rights or language-related cases of national significance before the courts.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-school-board-reportedly-gets-federal-funds-to-fight-quebec-secularism-2/

Le Soleil – 125 000$ d’un programme fédéral pour contester la loi sur la laïcité

Québec accuse le gouvernement Trudeau de faire indirectement ce qu’il ne fait pas directement en finançant une contestation judiciaire contre la loi 21 sur la laïcité. « Ce n’est pas acceptable et le gouvernement fédéral doit s’expliquer », s’est insurgé mercredi le ministre québécois de l’Immigration, Simon Jolin-Barrette. La Commission scolaire English Montreal (CSEM) a reçu 125 000 $ du Programme de contestation judiciaire (PCJ) pour contester la loi 21, qui interdit le port de signes religieux aux employés de l’État en position d’autorité, dont les enseignants.

https://www.lesoleil.com/actualite/education/125-000–dun-programme-federal-pour-contester-la-loi-sur-la-laicite-b53a8cf0a61216934d950f1df832b284

ICI-Nouveau-Brunswick – Les réfugiés syriens participent à l’économie canadienne

Les réfugiés syriens arrivés il y a quatre ans en Atlantique s’intègrent bien à la société canadienne. La plupart ont trouvé du travail, malgré certaines barrières sur les plans de la langue et de l’éducation, et leur niveau de vie s’améliore. Mais l’écart demeure important avec la moyenne des familles canadiennes.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1506305/refugies-syriens-economie-canadienne

CBC News – Want More Immigrants? Put More Money Into Support System, Multicultural Council Says

If New Brunswick wants to boost its population, the province needs to put more money into frontline settlement agencies, the New Brunswick Multicultural Council says. During his state of the province speech last week, Premier Blaine Higgs laid out a goal of attracting up to 10,000 newcomers a year by 2027. “You set a big goal and we need to build the right plans and make the necessary investments to achieve that goal,” said Alex LeBlanc, executive director of the New Brunswick Multicultural Council.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/immigration-population-growth-1.5451434