The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
CBC News – Winnipeg Tailor, Former Refugee Hands Out 100 Sandwiches to Mark Anniversary of His Journey
To mark a special anniversary, Winnipeg businessman and former refugee Tam Nguyen is making 100 Vietnamese sandwiches to deliver to people in need. The tailor and former restaurateur is celebrating 41 years since he safely escaped Vietnam by boat. “I feel happy,” Nguyen said. “I feel I’m really lucky.” May 4 marks the anniversary of his arrival in Malaysia, following a harrowing five-day journey by boat. He then headed to Canada at the age of 23 with not much more than the clothes on his back.
Global News – #IAmHongKonger Campaign Aims to Make Its Mark in 2021 Canadian Census
Every five years, the Canadian government conducts a national census to collect information on the country’s demographics as well as the social and economic situation of its residents. A group of Canadian Hong Kongers are encouraging Canadians with Hong Kong heritage to identify themselves as Hongkonger in the 2021 census in an effort to strengthen the community’s diaspora. With Canada’s 23rd census happening on May 3, a campaign called #IAmHongKonger is aiming to stand up for their own identity.
CBC News – Metro Vancouver Projected to Add More Than 1 Million Residents by 2050, According to Planners
Despite limited population growth since the pandemic, Metro Vancouver planners project the region will have more than one million additional residents by 2050. According to new data shared with the Metro Vancouver board on Friday, planners project there will be 3.8 million people living in Metro Vancouver in the next 30 years — an average growth of 35,000 people per year. Sean Galloway, the director of regional planning for Metro Vancouver, says the estimate is on par with previous projections, which only went to 2040.
ICI Radio-Canada – Québec reconnaît avoir eu des données incomplètes en immigration
Le ministère provincial de l’Immigration évoquait un inventaire de dossiers non traités deux fois moins élevé. La faute, jure Québec, à un portrait incomplet fourni par Ottawa. Selon des données fournies par Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada (IRCC), on parle de plus de 51 000 travailleurs qualifiés qui patientent pour obtenir leur résidence permanente. Cet inventaire a notamment explosé l’an passé, avec la pandémie et un traitement des dossiers fortement ralenti du côté d’Ottawa.
Toronto Star – As Trudeau Considers Closing Ontario to Overseas Students, Ford Says He Made No ‘Formal Request’ for That
The federal Liberal government, faced with multiple demands by a beleaguered Ontario government to take more action on COVID-19, said it would consider a surprise request to suspend the entry into Ontario of international students. It comes as a physician at an Ontario university raised the alarm, telling the Star two students who arrived from India prior to last week’s ban on direct flights since tested positive with coronavirus variants.
CBC News – Students in India Say They’re in Limbo, Waiting Months for Permits to Learn in Quebec
Gitika Sharma, 19, says the past six months have been filled with sleepless nights and anxiety. Sharma lives in Chandigarh, a region in Northern India. Hoping to study in Canada, she chose Herzing College in Montreal and its early childhood education program. Sharma has spent thousands of dollars on tuition fees to study in Quebec but she can’t come to Canada because she has yet to receive her study permit from the Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.