Media Roundup

The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.


Chronicle Herald – First Overview on Atlantic Immigration Pilot: We Can Be Cautiously Optimistic, Expert Says

Out of the 3,517 applications for permanent residence that Nova Scotia approved last year, almost half are from the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program (AIP). Last week, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) released its first evaluation of the pilot, three years after the initial landing of the program’s first cohort.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/provincial/first-overview-on-atlantic-immigration-pilot-we-can-be-cautiously-optimistic-expert-says-550989/

Radio-Canada – Québec veut combler les « failles » exploitées par des collèges privés

Paiement en avance des frais de scolarité, dépôt en liquide de milliers de dollars, déclarations trompeuses pour obtenir un permis d’enseignement : le gouvernement Legault déplore des situations « très préoccupantes » dans des collèges privés. « Il faut qu’on mette des garde-fous », assure la ministre de l’Enseignement supérieur, Danielle McCann. Cette dernière, dans une entrevue accordée à Enquête, évoque une situation « très préoccupante » dans le réseau des collèges privés non subventionnés, qui a poussé Québec à lancer des enquêtes contre dix établissements.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1769443/quebec-failles-colleges-prives

Globe and Mail – Federal Government Urged to End Contract with Visa Application Centre in Beijing

The Canadian government is facing calls to cancel an arrangement in Beijing where Chinese police own a company that collects details of people applying for visas to Canada. As The Globe and Mail reported earlier this week, Canada’s visa application centre in Beijing is operated by Beijing Shuangxiong Foreign Service Company, which is owned by the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau. And at least some of the people working inside the centre are members of the Chinese Communist Party, recruited from a school that trains the next generation of party elite.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-federal-government-urged-to-end-contract-with-visa-application-centre/

CBC News – Longtime Refugee Advocate Taking Over Helm of Manitoba Museum

A well-known advocate for refugees and immigrants in Winnipeg is the new chief executive officer of the Manitoba Museum. Dorota Blumczynska leaves her position as the executive director of the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba, where she has worked for 13 years, and will take over her new position May 3. “There are so many vibrant and diverse communities who’ve only begun their journey in Manitoba in the last several decades, every single Manitoban should see their story within the Manitoba Museum,” Blumczynska said

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-museum-chief-executive-officer-dorota-blumczynska-1.5908147

Toronto Star – ‘If You’re Quiet, You’re Complacent’: Ottawa Urged to Aid Rohingya in Wake of Coup in Myanmar

It’s been a desperate situation in recent years for the Rohingyas displaced under Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected government, advocates say, adding it’s only going to get worse under the military junta, which took over the country last Monday. “There wasn’t much democracy anyway, because Aung San Suu Kyi and the government that was there were puppets. All the ethnic minorities that were persecuted are now directly under the military’s command and threats,” Raïss Tin Maung, founder of the Rohingya Human Rights Network in Canada, told the Star.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/02/08/if-youre-quiet-youre-complacent-ottawa-urged-to-aid-rohingya-in-wake-of-coup-in-myanmar.html

Toronto Star – Canada Deported Thousands During Pandemic. Is it Safe?

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) confirmed it resumed deportations as of Nov. 30 after suspending most removals in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Amongst them are failed refugee claimants, non-status visitors and anyone inadmissible to Canada. The government says the deportations were necessary and done safely. Despite this, many are questioning how COVID-19 safety protocols can be maintained properly with thousands of these flights taking place at a time when public health experts warn travel can create a high risk of transmission.

https://www.thestar.com/podcasts/thismatters/2021/02/08/canada-deported-thousands-during-pandemic-is-it-safe.html