The Media Roundup provides links to recent and archived articles, in both English and French, on immigration and diversity appearing in the national and local news. Some international content is also included. Articles are updated weekly.
Radio-Canada – Des fraudes commises sur le dos des réfugiés
Des organismes d’accueil de réfugiés ont établi des « stratagèmes frauduleux » au sein d’un programme de parrainage collectif, selon le gouvernement Legault, qui a mené une longue enquête pour faire le ménage dans ce réseau. Durant des mois, le service d’enquête du ministère de l’Immigration a passé au peigne fin les données financières et les centaines de demandes de parrainage collectif déposées par de multiples organismes au cours des dernières années.
ONFR+ – Des diplômes d’enseignement obtenus en France enfin reconnus en Ontario
Des diplômes obtenus en France relatifs aux métiers de l’enseignement, de l’éducation et de la formation sont désormais reconnus dans la province. Cette avancée doit permettre aux nouveaux arrivants titulaires d’un tel diplôme de postuler directement à des postes d’enseignants au sein des conseils scolaires francophones et anglophones, et ce sans forcément passer par ce parcours du combattant qu’est le certificat de qualification délivré par l’Ordre des enseignantes et des enseignants de l’Ontario.
Globe and Mail – New Human-Rights Campaign Targets Canadian Practice of Holding Some Asylum Seekers in Jails
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are launching a campaign urging Canadian provinces to cancel arrangements with the federal government that let them detain asylum seekers and refugee claimants in provincial jails. The national campaign, called Welcome to Canada, begins on Thursday with the aim of pressing the provinces into ending the agreements they have with the Canadian Border Services Agency, or CBSA. The arrangements allow thousands of immigration detainees each year to be held in provincial jails without a time limit.
Toronto Star – ‘My Wife Can’t Even Go Out to Get Food’: Afghan Refugees Here Appeal to Ottawa to Expedite Reunification with Their Families as Taliban Threat Escalates
Even before the Taliban took over their country in August, these women were already in hiding with their young children, waiting to join their husbands in refuge in Canada. Now, without a man’s escort, these wives and mothers can’t even leave their homes and move around to take care of themselves and their children. The 170 women and 385 children are stranded in Afghanistan as their bygone family reunification in Canada gets further buried in thousands of new applications amid Ottawa’s Afghan resettlement operation that began this summer.
Global News – Afghan Refugees Settle in Saskatoon After Taliban Takeover, Look Ahead to Life in Canada
Tahery, 24, is adapting to her new life in Saskatoon but also coming to terms with the life and future she and her husband Jawid Sarwary, 28, left behind in Afghanistan. Sarwary said he knew they would have to leave when U.S. President Joe Biden announced in April that American troops were withdrawing completely from the country. Tahery thought the worst-case scenario would be if the Afghan government were to reach a power-sharing deal with the fundamentalist group.
Global News – Volunteers Who Supported Syrian Refugees Reconnecting to Help Afghan Newcomers to Canada
Volunteers who helped Syrian refugees settle in Canada six years ago are coming together once more to help Afghans who’ve recently arrived in the country. Their efforts — which range from securing weather-appropriate clothing to helping the newcomers access medical services — are expected to ramp up as the federal government delivers on its commitment to settle 40,000 Afghan refugees. Wendy Cukier, who previously founded a group to support Syrian refugees, said she was inundated with inquiries as the Taliban took control of Afghanistan this summer.